1. Can I purchase the mulch in 50 lb. bags?
Granuband packages mulch in 2,000 lb. Super Sacks, in bulk form, and on special order, 30 lb. bags.
2. Will the black color rub off on the children’s clothes?
Playground rubber mulch is nontoxic and non-staining – the color will not rub off on children or pets, even in the rain. Playground rubber mulch is clean, minimizes airborne dust and particles, and will not result in painful splinters like wood mulch.
3. Is the rubber mulch harmful to my children’s health?
Absolutely not. Ground rubber chips are 100% non-toxic. "Playground surfaces can contain recovered rubber and PVC materials that are often more desirable than wood chips, sand, or asphalt, because they can provide more cushioning and thereby may be safer for children. You can find playground surfaces made with recovered materials at schools, military bases, and housing developments." -- Source EPA.gov
4. Does the mulch get extremely hot in the sun?
The temperature of rubber mulch will be equivalent to wood mulch, sand, or pea gravel.
5. How do I install rubber mulch?
It is recommended that a protective layer such as landscape fabric be placed on the bare ground prior to installing the rubber mulch. Also, it is important to remove any material placed on the playground such as wood mulch or pea gravel before installing the rubber mulch.
6. Does the mulch need a protective layer under it, such as landscape fabric?
Although the earth will always reclaim everything over a period of time, it is a good idea to put down landscape fabric to slow the process and also as a further deterrent to weeds.
7. What are the benefits of rubber mulch on playgrounds?
Rubber mulch is much ‘springier’ than other surfacing. Rubber mulch has
a higher fall height value than other surfacing so less material needs to
8. Where does the rubber mulch come from?
Granuband shreds and grinds car, truck, tractor and implement tires to
produce the rubber mulch.
9. How do you remove the steel from the rubber?
As the tires are shredded and ground into smaller nuggets the steel is
removed using a 6,000 gauss magnet. It is strong enough to pull out any
nugget of rubber that has protruding steel so that the rubber that
remains is 99.9% steel free.
10. Does the rubber mulch smell bad?
Initially, there will be an odor from a newly opened bag of mulch but one
installed the smell dissipates very quickly.
11. What kind of insulation value does rubber mulch have?
Rubber mulch will keep the soil under it 10% cooler in the summer and
10% warmer in the winter. Rubber mulch does a better job of insulating
outdoor plants from heat compared to wood chips and other organic
materials. In ‘Indoor’ gardens like sunrooms and solariums, it is
especially beneficial because it does not break down and emit a rotting
12. Is rubber mulch flammable?
Based on testing by the Federal Hazardous Substance Act (16 CFR
1500.44) in 1995, rubber mulch was found to be a non-flammable
13. What if my child or dog swallows a piece of rubber mulch?
The rubber nugget will not permanently injure a child or pet. They may
experience some stomach discomfort at the beginning but as the
hydrochloric acid (stomach acid) does its work the nylon will be dissolved
and the rubber will be expelled by the body with no lasting effects.
14. Can I lay the rubber tiles on the bare ground?
It is that tiles be placed on a concrete or asphalt base as the tiles will
conform to the shape of the ground and the desired smooth surface will
not be achieved.
15. Can I lay the rubber tiles myself?
Laying the tiles as a DIY project is not recommended as it may _____ the
warranty on the tiles.
16. How deep does my rubber mulch need to be?
Please consult your sales department to learn the Fall Height scale.
17. How do I know how thick my rubber tiles need to be?
Please consult your sales department to learn the Head Injury Criteria
18. Will the color of the rubber mulch fade?
The color of natural black mulch will not fade. It will maintain it’s color
for many years. Colored mulch fades and has to be replaced more often
and natural mulch. Another common problem is the color from the
mulch dye transferring to your hands and arms as you spread it. You
should always wear gloves and cover exposed skin while planting to
minimize this exposure.
19. Will the color of the rubber tiles fade?
Because of the color density, rubber tiles will not fade, even in harsh
environments. These ultra-dense rubber tiles can offer a bit of sticker
shock with their higher price point, but they really do bring something
special to the table.
20. What colors do the rubber tiles come in?
Red, blue, silver, tan, black, and green are basic colors. Custom colors are
available on request.
21. Will the rubber deteriorate after it’s installed?
As with any organic material, rubber will breakdown when it’s subjected
to sunlight, bacteria, and fungi over a long period of time. However,
rubber mulch made today will outlive every human being on earth at this
moment and that is a considerably longer life than wood mulch will
22. How do I clean the rubber mulch/tiles clean?
Tiles can be cleaned just by hosing them off, or for deeper cleaning can
be cleaned with a general purpose, non-acidic cleansing agent or mild
dish soap and water.
23. How do I maintain the rubber mulch?
It may be necessary to rake the mulch occasionally under swings, slides,
or anyplace little fit tend to dig in. Other than those areas, there is little
to no maintenance required.